If you’re looking to be the best leader possible, this list of 6 leadership traits is a great place to start.
- Create a climate of reciprocal trust. Innovation often requires some level of risk. Not all innovative ideas are successful. Highly innovative leaders initiate warm, collaborative relationships with the innovators who work for them. They make themselves highly accessible. Colleagues know that their leader will cover their backs and not throw them under the bus if something goes wrong.
- Display fearless loyalty to doing what’s right for the organization and customer. Pleasing the boss or some other higher level executive always takes a back seat to doing the right thing for the project or the company.
- Put their faith in a culture that magnifies upward communication. These leaders believe that the best and most innovative ideas bubble up from underneath. They strived to create a culture that uncorks good ideas from the first level of the organization. They are often described as projecting optimism, full of energy, and always receptive to new ideas.
- Are persuasive. These individuals are highly effective in getting others to accept good ideas. They do not push or force their ideas onto their teams. Instead, they present ideas with enthusiasm and conviction, and the team willingly follows.
- Excel at setting stretch goals. These goals require people to go far beyond just working harder. These goals require that they find new ways to achieve a high goal.
- Are candid in their communication. These leaders are described as providing honest, and at times even sometimes blunt, feedback. Subordinates feel they can always count on straight answers from their leader.
This post is adapted from a recent HBR article. Interested in reading the full article? Click Here
Posted by Andrew Pino
Like this post? If so, sign up for the free LiveIntentional newsletter.